Sunday, March 15, 2009

Love

Frey, James. My Friend Leonard. 1. New York: Penguin, 2001.


"There is only one happiness in life -- to love and to be loved." (George Sand) As I finish reading My Friend Leonard by James Frey, you realize that love in the book is a constant. Whether James is completley and irrevocably in love with Lily, or head over heals for heroin there is always some form of love. Throughout the book James wants to be loved, he wants to feel like somebody wants him at all in anyway. While James was using, he lost everything. Nobody cared about him anymore, he was worthless to anybody that once loved him. Imagine the feeling of loosing everybody that ever meant anything to you. While the book goes on James begins to have weird dreams about his exgirlfriend, her name his never given but he calls her the Girl with the Artic Eyes, she never appears in his real life again but she lingers in his memories and in his dreams. He was deeply in love with her, and feels guilty for begining to think about her again because of Lilly. Now that James is heading back to his sober life again his parents have come back into his life. He is begining to feel loved again, and he is begining to feel whole again. As I compare this to my life I have no idea how I would react to loosing my loved ones. Have relationships with people and communication is a huge factor to a healthy lifestyle.

No comments: